We must learn to not only discern between right and wrong, but we must discern between right and almost right.
It’s almost right to ask God to come down and help us. It sounds holy. It sounds humble. But you will truly be free when you discover, He is already here. Emmanuel means, “God WITH us.” When Jesus came to the earth, He put an end to the separation between God and man.
Separation between us and God is a myth. The devil wants us to believe it to keep us powerless. We were separated from God through our sin (Isaiah 59:2), but Jesus took away the sin through His blood. Therefore, the moment we are born again, there is no separation anymore. We sometimes feel that He is so far away, but He is not. He is here. He is there.
1. Psalm 46:1 says, “He is an ever-present help in times of trouble.”Wow! You have to love this thought. Have you ever had times of trouble? But notice, He is ever-present. Then, it says, help in times of trouble. It is His ever-presence that brings us help in times of trouble.
2. Take Him at His Word. Jesus said in Matthew 28:20, “Lo, I am with you always; even to the end of the age.” There is no way to misinterpret this verse. Jesus is with YOU always. That has to warm your heart and comfort you.
3. Christianity is not a life of attainment, but a life of recognition.Philemon 6 says, “that your faith might become effective, through the acknowledgment of those things which are already in you, in Christ Jesus.” Many people focus on attaining God’s presence and God’s blessing. But the Scripture is clear: Acknowledge. Recognize He is already in you. His gifts are already in you!
4. Christianity is not us finding God. It’s that Jesus came and found us, spilled His blood to cleanse us from all unrighteousness, took us into His arms, and breathed His very Spirit into us. Now He lives in every person that has accepted Him as their Savior and Lord. Romans 8:11 tells us that the Spirit of God lives in us!
5. Resist the temptation to pray, “God, come down and help me,” or, “Send Your Spirit.” He has already come. He has already sent His Spirit. Our battle is to believe this whether we feel His presence or not. He is in us!
6. It’s not us living for God. It’s us living from God. Galatians 2:20says, “It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me.” David said in Psalm 139:7–9, “Where can I flee from Your presence? If I go to heaven, You are there. If I make my bed in Sheol, You are there…and Your right hand will hold me.”
Confession of Faith
I am not separated from God in any way. He is an ever-present help in my time of trouble. His ever-presence brings me help! I recognize that He is already in me. That’s what makes my faith work.
God is not far off. He is right here, right now. I am surrounded by His love and enveloped in His presence. Therefore I am not afraid. I am not trying to live FOR God; I am living FROM Him. His power is in me. His presence is in me. His love is in me. And nothing can ever separate me from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus my Lord! Amen.